We are happy to say that we are gradually re-opening the village hall - in strict accordance with Scottish government guidelines. At the moment only exercise classes are allowed in the hall, and Pilates and Qigong have resumed. If you are interested in joining any of these classes please contact the class leader. We have safety and hygiene measures in place, with full instructions.
The Cheviot Hub of Scottish Borders Council have set up a contact number for anyone who needs help in the current situation. It is run by the NHS, Social Work and a wide range of Third Sector partners. The Cheviot Hub number is
0300 100 1800
Tom Weatherston, our local councillor, can also be contacted at 01573 223647 or 07767 406122 if there is anything people need to talk about.
Smailholm is a small village in the Scottish Borders. It is situated on the B6397, a few miles from Melrose, St Boswells, Earlston and Kelso. The village has about 40 households, with just over 100 names on the electoral roll. Despite its modest size and sleepy ambience, the village has many activities, mainly centred around Smailholm Village Hall. There are regular classes in pilates, Qigong, art, and singing, a women's book group, film evenings, and other special events, at all of which people from others areas of the Borders and visitors staying locally are very welcome. The hall is available to hire for weddings, parties, concerts, plays, meetings, exhibitions, and other group activities.
Smailholm has a particularly attractive parish church (Church of Scotland), believed to be Norman in origin though little of the original remains. Records show that in 1171 Smailholm was a dependent of Earlston Church, and from 1408 until the Reformation (1560), it was in the possession of Dryburgh Abbey. From 1632 onwards the church was extensively rebuilt, with further alterations in 1820. The church bell, still used today, was made by Michael Burgenbuys and is inscribed "Smellum 1647." The church has a number of interesting features, including a boarded vaulted roof, and a Laird's Loft, accessible by means of an external stair at the north west end that continues inside the building. There are stained glass windows in the east end of the chancel, depicting St. Cuthbert.
The church no longer has regular services, but there is a monthly meeting in the church on the first Wednesday of the month at 2.00 pm. to which all are welcome.
Further information can be found at www.kelsocountrychurches.org.uk
or telephone 01573 460254